Tuesday, February 1, 2011

All About Lynanne

Hello CSUSM friends!  My name is Lynanne Hamill, I'm 42 years old, and I'm happy to be here!  When I was a child my dad was in the Marine Corps and my family lived in North Carolina.  That's where I began school.  My dad was transferred to Camp Pendleton, CA when I was 8 years old.  That is where I finished my elementary school years.  Just before I began 6th grade, we moved to Temecula.  I attended Temecula Middle School, then Elsinore Union High School.  (Temecula Valley High School opened the year after I graduated from EUHS in 1986.)  After high school I began college at Mt. San Jacinto College, but decided to drop my classes, move to Orange County, get a job, and have some fun.  I told myself, "I'll just wait one year, then go back to college..."  It was a decision that filled me with regret later on.  Life got very busy, and I never went back - until - I got married in 1998.  My husband and I wanted to start a family.  As we planned our future together it became more important to me to obtain a college education because I want my children to attend college some day.  I have grown into the knowledge that education is extremely important, and I felt it was important for me to lead by example.  Currently, I am working on prerequisite classes for the Communicative Sciences and Disorders master's program.  We now have 4 kids in elementary school, and I am excited to see where their education takes them in life!

I would place myself in the middle of the technology scale.  My husband is a high school teacher and he uses technology in his classroom regularly.  His knowledge exceeds my own, so he is my mentor in this area.  Although, I'm hoping this class will bring me up to his level!

The COE Mission Statement was vaguely familiar to me when we looked at it in class.  I must have read it at some point, but it didn't really sink in.  Now that I've focused on it's meaning, I am most impressed with their commitment to diversity, educational equity, and social justice.  "Diversity" is mentioned again at the end.  My teaching philosophy is similar to my parenting philosophy, and one of the important recurring issues I discuss with my kids as they get older is acceptance/tolerance.  We live in a world of diversity, so those who master the art of acceptance will, in my opinion, have alot more to offer.
Photo: Me, our daughters Brynna, Rachel, Chloe, Cheyna, my husband Chris

3 comments:

  1. Lynanne - That's awesome that you emphasize tolerance/acceptance with your children and through teaching. Your kids are so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lyanne- I am glad you got back to school because you realize the importance of it, for the future of your family. Beautiful Family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynanne-I'm doing my pre-requisites for the CSD Master's Program as well. Hope to see you around and good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete